Saturday, April 24, 2010

Gluing Apples on a Mesquite Tree


So I’m hanging out with Ezekiel playing basketball with his friends and I pick up a smell coming off of his shirt. “No doubt about it… that’s pot”, I think to myself. Now you need to understand that I smell pot just about everyday around students, but the difference is that this is a kid I’m starting to care a lot about. We’ve been getting together every week to talk about having a personal relationship with Jesus and I’m starting to get concerned about the negative influences in his life. His dad split when he was very young and he is beginning to trust me as a role model.

I spent a lot of mental energy trying to think of a cool way to bring up the subject with him. Before we had a chance to talk, God opened my eyes through His word to something my momentary concerns were blinding me from seeing. The solution I was about to offer him was a focus on his behavior, and God wanted to remind me that He cares far more about the heart issues. If I place an emphasis on outward behavior, I’ll be setting him up for legalism and failure. If I share my personal experience with the gospel - repentance, forgiveness, faith and dependence upon God’s life changing power - I will be setting him up for freedom and success in the Christian faith. It’s like the difference between gluing apples on a mesquite tree and planting an apple seed that grows into a fruit producing tree. The former might bring quicker results, but it definitely won’t last.

It ends up that Ezekiel was only hanging out with friends who were smoking pot, but I am thankful that God impressed the simple truths of the gospel on my heart in a way that I can better serve the students we spend time with, and eventually our children.

Guys Bible Study...

Each one of the guys in our Gospel Transformations Bible Study is excited to re-look at the central truths of what Jesus taught and see if we are truly living them out. Koky, a psychology major, is the leading the study with myself, Alex, Daniel, Alejo and Mauro.

How you can be praying for us…

My dad’s recovery from back surgery and Flor’s mom’s cancer treatments
2) Communication and intimacy as Flor & I work through adjustments we need to make in life and ministry
3) Single men for our Mid-term team that is starting to form for later this year

Thank you so much for your prayers and financial support! We couldn't be here serving the students of La Plata without you. Please let us know how you are doing and how we can be praying for you.

No comments: